Friday 10 February 2012

Celeriac, Orange, and Cardamom Soup

Celeriac. Oh poor celeriac.  It's such an ugly vegetable.  It looks like the head of a sick bald man.  I know, I'm not making it sound particularly appetizing.  I see it every time I go to the vegetable shop and yesterday I finally decided to try this thing.


I don't think it has any distinctive taste actually.  Nor is it particularly nutritional.  It is high in potassium and vitamin c, but not so much so that it's much better than your other vegetables.

Oranges.  I love adding oranges to my vegetable soups. It's especially good in a broccoli soup, it adds that much needed sweetness and zing to your average boring soup.



Cardamom.  My two favorite spices are cardamom and cinnamon.  I often associate the two with sweet things but it works really well in savory dishes as well.

Ingredients
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cardamom pods, cracked
A sprig of thyme
1 medium celeriac, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
1 cup of water
1 cup of stock
1/2 cup yogurt
zest and juice of half an orange

Method
Fry the onions until they become translucent but not browned.  Add the cardamom pods and thyme and fry for an extra minute before putting in the celeriac, water and stock.  When it boils over medium high heat, turn the heat down, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes until softened.  Add yoghurt, orange juice and zest, and put in a blender to process until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner