Wednesday 2 May 2012

Baked Brie with Rosemary, Garlic and Beer

There are many ways of categorizing people.  For the purpose of this post, I'll divide the world into sensible people who like cheese, and unsensible people.  Of the sensible people, there are people who like cheese and the people who love cheese.  I'd say I love cheese. Then there are people who really love cheese.  Sarah's one of these people.

I think of Sarah whenever I think of cheese.  I associate the two together like peanut butter and jelly.  For her, a bad day can be made excellent with just a bit of good cheese.  For her, good cheese can genuinely make her happy.  And Sarah behaves like an excited puppy who hasn't seen her owner for days when she sees baked cheese. Sarah's a dear friend of mine.
Baked cheese is just pure indulgence.  Melted cheese must be the most sensual and erotic food.  When you first reach in with your piece of bread to break the cheese and it bursts -- then a pool of hot creamy and stringy wonderfulness oozes out.  At that moment all the dining etiquettes you grew up with will cease to matter.  In the process of making sure that your bread is coated with the maximum amount of cheese it can hold, you get it all over your fingers, your hands, your face -- and it's ok. You don't care. And no one will judge as you lick away the droplets of cheese on the palm of your hands. Oh there's nothing quite like melted cheese.



Get creative, try it with different herbs, try it with thyme. Though I personally prefer it with rosemary.  Usually you'd use white wine, but as I had none, my friends and I tried it with beer.  Try it with different flavored beer, experiment.  It's hard to go wrong with this.



Ingredients
1 block of brie
1 clove of garlic, sliced
1 sprig of rosemary
1 tbsp of beer
Good bread

Method
With a knife, poke a few holes into the brie, then stuff it with chopped garlic and some rosemary leaves.  Pour in just a splash of beer. Put in the oven at 200C and bake for 20 minutes.  Eat with good bread.  

3 comments:

  1. I take that as an hommage and I'm deeply flattered :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore you both. And this cheese. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. next time I'll try frying it

      Delete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner