Thursday 28 June 2012

How to: Fresh Egg Pasta

It's a dry and tough dough to work with, but everyone's got to make fresh pasta at home at least once in their life.
I honestly didn't think it'd be such hard work.  I don't consider myself particularly weak, I've got some upper body strength, but my god.  I had never been so mean to a food item before.  It's not good to yell nasty things to a piece of dough, you gotta show it love and affection.  I felt bad.  Anyway, after moments of frustration, I had decided to switch tactics and, like I said, love and affection, and the dough came together and it made beautiful ravioli (post will come soon).


Ideally it's made with "00" pasta, really fine flour.  If you're using plain flour, make sure you sift it.

Ingredients
400g flour
4 eggs

Method
Mount the flour in the middle of a work surface, make a well in the middle and crack in the eggs.  Whisk the flour and the eggs together, and then start using your hands.  Keep working it until it becomes a smooth dough.  It will take awhile, and it may at some points seem impossible as it won't hold together, but don't be tempted to add water and other liquids, just have faith, it will happen.  Wrap in cling film and let rest for at least 30 minutes before use.  Then, roll it out with your pasta machine into desired shape, and if you don't have a pasta machine, don't fret, roll it out by hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner