Wednesday 31 October 2012

Broccoli and Feta Cheese Pie

I wish I had something more Halloween-appropriate for today's post :/  Last year my flatmates and I had an amazing Halloween party where we had made lots of Halloween party snacks. If I'm involved in a party, there will always be homemade food.  No chips and supermarket-cupcakes.  I miss my flatmates, Jess and Sarah. 

Anyway, I'll keep this short and sweet because I'm not at my best today.  The days are starting to get gloomier and gloomier here, and certain people are stressing me out more and more.  
 This is a broccoli and feta cheese pie with a whole wheat crust.  You know me, always trying to be healthy.  I feel bad because the whole wheat crust recipe isn't mine, yet I don't remember where I got it from.  I usually copy and paste the url but I forgot :(  So, it's not mine. But enjoy.  I'm really fussy about these things because I had to write an essay on copyright last year and did a lot of research and stuff.  Being accused of plagiarism is one of my biggest fears. 
Ingredients
Whole Wheat Crust
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
113g (1 stick) butter, very cold, cut into cubes
4 tbsp cold milk
1 egg yolk plus 1 tbsp of water for egg wash

Broccoli and Feta Filling
2 heads broccoli, finely chopped
150g feta cheese, crumpled
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 eggs
pinch ground nutmeg
 
Method
Make the pastry
You can either do this by hand or in a food processor.
In a food processor: simply first put in the flours and salt, pulse a few times to mix that, then add the butter and milk and pulse a few times more until it comes together as a dough.
By hand: first mix the flours and salt together in a bowl.  Run your hands under cold water so that they become cold, and mix the cubed butter and milk into the flour until it becomes like coarse breadcrumbs. Don't over mix.  Then just try to press everything together so that it becomes a dough. Wrap in clingfilm, put in the fridge and let that rest for at least half an hour. 

Make the filling

-In the mean time, fry the onion in a large pan with some oil until it becomes translucent.  Don't let it color.
-Add the garlic and broccoli and fry for about 5 minutes, adding water if it becomes too dry

-Let the mixture cool, and then add the two eggs, nutmeg, seasoning, and mix well

-Take the dough out, roll it out so that it's a few inches bigger than your pie dish. Carefully place the dough into the pie dish (an easy way is to roll the dough onto the rolling pin, so that it's wrapped around it, and then unroll/unwrap it out onto the dish).  If you have a lot of dough hanging out, then cut it off and use for decoration if you wish. 
-Pour the filling in. Decorate with remaining dough if you want, and brush the pastry with the egg wash (whisk together the yolk and water)
-Put in a preheated oven of 180C and bake for 30 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner