Sunday 30 December 2012

Vegan Yeast Spelt Pancakes

Two things.  First, I finally got flax seeds.  I have now the perfect vegan pantry.  I've got my chia seeds, flax seeds, nutritional yeast, soya milk, a selection of nuts, dried fruits, seeds, and legumes.  I'm ready for my Vegan Challenge 2.0 in March! 

Second, finally was I able to enjoy something I've made to myself without any criticisms.  I'm done with sharing food with my parents.  I'm just going to cook for myself here now -- no more attempting at making other bellies happy while I'm here. I don't take criticisms well, nobody does, but I'm willing to take constructive criticisms if they're given well.

Now, let me give you a couple of tips when giving criticisms.

Let's say that the problem is the cake is too sweet. 

First give a compliment.  Begin with something good about the cake.  It can't be all bad.  "It's not dry at all."  "You can really taste the almonds."  "It's so soft and fluffy."  "It looks amazing."   Something.  Anything. 

Now.  You don't say "The cake is really moist, but it's a bit too sweet."  Change one word and it changes everything. 

"The cake is really moist, and maybe you could even add a bit less sugar next time." 

You see the difference between "but" and "and"?  You see? 
I hope you can all give criticisms this way.  No point in thrashing someone's self-esteem and trampling it on the ground.  Be nice.

If you're not vegan and don't have flax seeds, don't worry, just replace with a small egg.   Make the batter before you go to bed -- you just mix all the ingredients together, really minimal effort.  Next day in 10-15 minutes you'll be able to have these bread-like pancakes.

Recipe adapted from here 
Serves 2 (3 pancakes each)
Ingredients
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1 1/2 tbsp water1 cup spelt flour
1 1/8tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup soy milk
1 tbsp olive oil

Method
Whisk the flax seeds and water in a small bowl together and let sit for a couple of minutes.
Whisk all the dry ingredients together then add all the wet ingredients along with the flax seed water mixture.  Cover with cling film and let sit in a warm place overnight. 
The next day, add a bit of milk to your batter to loosen it up a bit.  Heat a pan over medium heat.  Add a bit of oil and put a dollop of batter into the pan.  When bubbly and edges begin to set, flip over and cook for a couple of minutes more until browned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner