Sunday 7 April 2013

Vegan Saffron and Vanilla Whole-Wheat Pancakes

I don't like cooking for one. 

First, from a practicality point of view, it's sometimes difficult to halve or quarter a recipe.  I could just make it and save the other portion for a later meal, you may say, but no.  My problem is that I eat everything in sight, so that's a very difficult thing for me to do. 

Second, it's lonely.  The whole concept of Happy Belly is that I like making other bellies happy.  I don't even like making my own belly happy that much.  I mean I don't mind.  I like fine food, but I'm not fussed.  I'll eat pretty much anything because I hate wasting food.  I may not enjoy everything, but I'll eat everything.  I just want to cook for other people and make them happy. 
Next year I'm moving in with a dear friend of mine, just the two of us, so I'll share my breakfast with her in the morning.  It's easier with two people.  I'm currently living with 4 other girls, and I can't just make breakfast for one other person - if I do I have to do it for everyone.  



This is a recipe for two, but I managed to wrap one half in cling film and put it in the fridge - well, it's only because I was in a hurry.  But very delicious - saffron and vanilla.  I've made soaked oatmeal saffron pancakes before, but these are a bit different.  The vanilla extract's actually homemade as well - a how-to post will be up soon :)

enjoy!


Serves 2
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
a pinch of saffron
1 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil

Method
Mix the dry ingredients together, except for the saffron.  Put the saffron in a bowl with 1 tbsp of boiling water and mix until water's colored.  Put that along with all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  

Heat a non stick pan over medium high heat and fry the pancakes in batches, about a minute or two each side.  You'll know to flip when the edges are set and you've got bubbles on the surface.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner