Wednesday 13 November 2013

Parmesan and Thyme Scones



I was having the best of days and I couldn’t tell you why.  I was a ball of sunshine just radiating joy.  I was in the library – where all hope goes to die, and yet I was on top of the world.  I wasn’t very productive, I spent hours just browsing on the internet, yet I knew of it.  I knew I wasn’t productive, I knew I had to study for my test on Thursday, but for that day nothing mattered.  I had been under the same nail-biting, hair-pulling, pen-chewing stress for the past month. And whenever I took any time off, it was worse, I had that guilt. That nauseating guilt just at the pit of my stomach. 
But it's ok.  I subscribe to Bon Appetit and their digital version of the December issue came early.  That contributed significantly to the my happiness.  There was a recipe for provolone and herb scone, and I slightly changed it up a bit and then came these delicious things. 

makes 16 scones
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
Ingredients
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
4 cups plain flour
2 sticks/226g chilled butter, cut into small cubes
8 oz/226g parmesan, grated
2 tbsp thyme leaves
4 large eggs
3/4 cup cream 

Method
Pulse baking powder, salt, paprika and flour in a food processor until combined.

Add butter and pulse until the texture of coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl and miz in the cheese and thyme.  Using a fork, add the eggs and the creak and mix.  Don't overwork the dough.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and pat until it's about 1" thick.  Place on baking sheets and you can now freeze them for up to a month if you wish.  If not, just put in the fridge to chill for 2 hours.

Bake the scones at a preheated oven of 200C until golden on top - about 20-25 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner