Tuesday 21 January 2014

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake

In Italy you'll find that most bars (and that's actually cafes in Italy) have ciambelle.  These are just simple bundt cakes, usually flavored with vanilla or lemon, and my mother loves them.  They're essentially just pound cakes, but my mother said that this Martha Stewart recipe with whipped cream rather than the standard creaming of butter and sugar tastes most like the ones you find in Italy, strangely enough.
I thought this was interesting.  I was trying to use up the heavy cream I had in my fridge and googled and googled and found this.  I had never made a cake with whipped cream in the batter before.  The texture is quite nice, it's obviously lighter than a standard pound cake but I wouldn't say the difference is massive.

Martha's recipes have always worked out quite well for me, though I'm not the biggest fan of Martha mainly because of her awful awful Twitter photos.  If I didn't know better I wouldn't trust such a person's opinion on food at all.  On a side note, she was a bomb when she was younger though, look at that.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups double cream, chilled
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
-Preheat oven to 160C with rack set in lower third of the oven.  Grease and flour a bundt tin.

-Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside

-In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form

-In a medium bowl, beat eggs with sugar and vanilla until ribbons form, and whisk it into the cream.

-Whisk in the flour mixture until well combined.  Pour mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Test by inserting a knife and it should come out clean.

-Take the cake out and let cool.  Dust with icing sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner