Tuesday 11 February 2014

Sweet Carrot Chips

I was going to post this yesterday but I was met by the most horrid lower back pain known to man.  Well, known to 21-year-old's for sure.  I could not stand up straight, and my stomach was upset as well and it was the time of the month - I was not in a good state. 

But I woke up after a healthy 8-hour-sleep feeling better than ever.  I dreamt that I was trying my luck with Morgan Freeman but then he turned me down because he said I was too young for him - fair enough.  I've been having weird dreams and I've been spending too much time trying to analyze them.  Did I tell you about my dream where I tackled someone and repeatedly punched them and tried to strangle him?  My friend said that he had to quit his last job because he had repeated dreams of him murdering his boss. 

For something less dark now - sweet carrot chips or crisps.  Commercial veggie chips are incredibly overpriced, especially kale chips, but fear not, here I offer a nice homemade alternative. You shave the carrots into strips, toss them in oil, sugar and salt and bake them at a low temperature and you have your carrot chips.


You know what they're great for?  Yes you can just have them plain and you can be adventurous and spice them up with whatever you want - cocoa powder, chili, cinnamon, curry powder and whatever else you have in your cupboard.  You can also make a dip for them, savory or sweet.  But what I'm trying to say is that they're not just great for snacking - they're great as decoration!  Later I'll post about this carrot cake I made where I placed the carrot chips all along the side of the cake, it looked gorgeous.  Or serve them along a carrot risotto, some carrot mash and meat - it's very pretty and impressive.  And you can do this with other vegetables as well!  Like how about a chocolate beetroot cake with beetroot ice cream and beetroot chips?  Bangers and mash with assorted root vegetable chips?  Kale soup with kale chips?
Ingredients
Carrots
Rapeseed oil
Sugar
Salt

Method
Preheat oven to 100C.  Wash and peel the carrots.  Then, using a peeler, shave them lengthwise into long strips. 

Put the carrots in a bowl and toss with some oil, sugar and a pinch of salt.  Make sure that everything's coated, and then place them all in a single layer on a baking sheet - don't let them overlap. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges begin to turn brown. Take them out of the oven and leave them to cool and crisp up - just a few minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner