Saturday 10 May 2014

Braised Fennel with Saffron

More saffron recipes as promised :)  It goes with so many things, and just a bit of it can transform any mundane vegetable into something spectacular, and life's too short for mundane vegetables.  That should be a poster.
I served this with roast chicken as a side, but think about incorporating this as part of a dish - like with grilled fish and a white wine sauce, maybe in a quiche or in a vegetable parcel - or just eat it like it is, maybe with some more ingredients so that it becomes a proper salad - add some black olives, those that have been aged in brine, and some sultanas.
I love brainstorming recipes.  I struggle to concentrate on my actual university degree, but I can spend hours thinking about ingredients and recipes and pairings and presentations.  Today I was thinking about bay leaves in desserts.  Sage and apples are an obvious combination as they usually accompany pork together. So sage ice cream and an apple tarte tatin, with crispy fried sage on top that's been sugar coated? Then you've got hot and cold, and you've got a bunch of textures going on as well.  Lemons would go well with sage too.  As would vanilla.  Lemon tarte tatin with incredibly thin lemon slices, topped with sage ice cream, then that crispy fried sage and a vanilla creme anglaise on the side?  Or a sage panna cotta with poached apples and hazelnuts. 

Ok I need to stop myself. Saffron & fennel, this is what this post is about.  Saffron & fennel.

Serves 2-3 as a side
Ingredients
2 fennel bulbs
1/2 tsp saffron threads
zest of 2 lemons
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Method
Crumble the saffron in a small bowl and add 2 tbsp of hot water.

Cut the fennel into quarters and then thinly slice, preferably with a mandolin but you can practice your knife skills.

Heat the oil in a pan, add the fennel.  Fry for 3 minutes at medium high heat, then add the saffron along with the soaking liquid.  Turn the heat down and let it cook for 10 minutes or until softened.  Add the lemon zest and season. 


2 comments:

  1. Fennel is among my most beloved vegetables, and I love your idea to add a saffron twist to it. Will gave that a try soon - and thank you for your beautiful comments on our blog, I'm happy to get to know your blog this way, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your blog because of the food and also because you're based in Berlin and it's one of my favorite cities haha I spent two months in Berlin in Prenzlauerberg last summer :)

      Delete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner