Sunday 5 October 2014

Coconut Butter & Lemon Scottish Oatcakes

These have been my breakfast on the go.  I leave at 6:45am most mornings to get to school by 7:30.  I can't eat breakfast at 6:30.  My stomach is not yet awake at 6:30, which I only just discovered.  I normally wake up with the hunger of a bear awaken from hibernation and I thought my bottomless pit of a stomach could eat at any time, but 6:30 no.  So this is the perfect breakfast on the go which I can eat on my way to school.  They're filling and tasty and.. in all honesty, I'm scared that if I do this for a whole year I'll grow to hate oatcakes.  I love oatcakes, I don't want to hate oatcakes... That's why I try to change them up a bit every now and then.  They're identical to my Olive Oil Oatcakes, but you know, coconut butter instead of olive oil.  Maybe next time I could do a mix of butter and sesame oil..or walnut oil or other flavorings.... Some spices..
So, yes, I leave home at 6:45..so I wake up at like 5:45 every morning.  Don't feel bad for me, I'm loving it.  You know, about a year ago I went to the BBC GoodFood show and heard Tom Kitchin, the head chef of a Michelin-starred restaurant, say "yea, it's hard work being a chef, but I never wake up in the morning and think: 'I don't want to go to school today'"  And that stuck with me.  And that's exactly how I feel now.  Yes, I wake up a bit drowsy and grumpy but then I'm filled with excitement because God, I love school.  Yes, I'm that student.  I love my culinary school, I love learning all these things and I wish we had more lectures even though it's already like almost 40 hours a week, because I just want to know everything.  I want to know all the techniques, the tricks, the histories and cultures and just everything there is to know about food.  I wish I was like this for my Economics course in university.  Can you imagine?  "Yes, tell me the different models and functions, I want to know all about the housing market and rational expectations, and more numbers, please!" Oh my father would've been so proud. 


Recipe adapted from BBC GoodFood
Ingredients
60g whole wheat flour
100g medium cut oats
125g rolled oats
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g coconut butter, melted
zest of 1 large lemon
60-80ml boiling water

Method
Preheat the oven to 190C

Mix the flour, oats, salt, sugar, baking soda and lemon zest together.  Then add the coconut butter and mix well.

Finally add the boiling water, bit my bit, just enough so that it comes together as a rough dough.   Roll it out on a floured surface to about 5mm thick and cut into triangles.  Place on greased and lined tray and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.

Eat them when they've cooled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner