Tuesday 25 November 2014

Rosemary Olive Oil Pancakes w/ Honey & Goat's Cheese

I had the most distressing experience in purchasing this goat's cheese.  I was on my way to a date, a lovely man was making me a lovely dinner and I thought bringing cheese would be appropriate.  I had planned this out in my head - to arrive at 7, I would leave my house at 6:30.  I would finish class at 5:20 and it would take me 30 minutes to get to my house.  It would take me 20 minutes to get ready, therefore I had 25 minutes to purchase cheese.  I had thought that a purchase should take no longer than 10 minutes and thus I had an extra 10 minutes as a leeway.  I unfortunately underestimated the incompetency and inefficiency of some of the people in this world.  Went to a health store that had a cheese deli at the back.  It was a Wednesday afternoon and the woman at the deli informed me that the cheese man's off on Wednesday's and she was not an expert.  No problem, in that case I will just choose the cheeses that I know, I said.  "Not an expert" is very different from "I don't know what the f*ck I'm doing".  She did not know what the cheeses were, she did not know  how to slice the cheese, and she did not f*cking know how to use the scale.  My cheese probably aged into a whole new category by the time she handed it to me.  The worst part of the whole experience was that she just kept apologizing and so I just apologized back and told her to take her time because I felt bad.  I hate it when incompetent people are nice because then I can't get angry. 
I was late for the date and I did not look my best.  Anyway, the date was still fantastic but I had to take the cheeses home because he said he was not going to eat it all himself....  There should have been alarm bells ringing in my head right then.  Well, that didn't last, maybe for the best.  But hey, I got to take home the goat's cheese and make these pancakes for my friend and I.  What better way to treat a house guest than to wake up them in the morning with rosemary olive oil pancakes with honey and goat's cheese?
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
2 tbsp olive oil + more for frying and drizzling
1 egg
1 rosemary sprig
Goat's cheese, to taste
Honey, to taste

Method
Put the olive oil in a pan over low heat and put the rosemary sprig inside.  Leave to infuse for a couple of minutes while you do the rest.

Mix the flour together with the sugar, salt and baking powder.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk. 

When the olive oil has infused (ie when it smells like rosemary). Remove the rosemary and reserve.  Put the olive oil in the milk and egg bowl. Give it a quick whisk and pour it into the dry mixture and whisk well.

Put a pan on the stove over medium/high heat and drizzle in some olive oil.  For each pancake, spoon 2-3 tbsp of the batter onto the pan.  When bubbles appear, flip over and cook for another couple of minutes until golden. 

Serve with crumbled goat's cheese, a drizzle of honey and olive oil, and rosemary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner