Tuesday 23 December 2014

Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Chestnuts

You know what I hate about YouTube?  I hate that it forces me to watch a 1 minute ad for a 2 minute video.  I try to be understanding when I'm watching longer things on Hulu or 4oD, yes, 5 minutes of advertisements for 20 minutes of worthwhile content, okay, that's fine.  It can't be half and half, if I'm watching an episode of Friends, which is about 20 minutes, you can't give me 10 minutes of advertisements beforehand.

Anyway.  I was listening to The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole because...Chestnuts.  Here they're not quite roasting on an open fire so much as stir-fried in a wok but I'm spending Christmas in China, what do you expect?
 I love chestnuts in everything - sweet or savory, whole or mashed, I love it.  One of the best things about winter is those roasted chestnuts sold on the streets but Christ those people sure rip you off.  I can't remember how much they are in London but in Rome they're 5 euros for 5.  Sometimes I look at them and feel like throwing the chestnuts in their face because how dare they charge such ridiculous amounts for such a simple pure winter pleasure? 

Well, here's a song full of Christmas cheer.  I hope you're not forced to watch a 1 minute cologne ad with Robert Pattinson. 

Serves 2-3 
Ingredients
1 large napa cabbage
1 cup cooked and peeled chestnuts
1 tbsp dried shrimp, cut into 0.5cm dices
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch of sugar
Soy sauce
Sesame oil

Method
Separate the leaves of the cabbage and slice into 1 inch strips

In a wok over high heat add about 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.  When hot, add the shrimp and the garlic and fry for about 30 seconds.   

Add the cabbage and cook, tossing, until they just begin to wilt.  Add the chestnuts and pinch of sugar.  Turn heat down, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.   Season with salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner