Sunday 8 February 2015

Oatmeal with Tahini, Ginger & Lemon

It's February.  Shop windows are adorned with roses and paper hearts, restaurants are featuring oysters and chocolate fondants, and your inbox is spammed with getaway offers.  As unbearable as it is, as someone who's single, I don't despise Valentine's Day.  I think it's kind of cute to be honest.  I use the opportunity to show some love to my friends and family and most importantly, to myself.  This was me giving myself some love this morning.
The recipe is for two, for those who wish to treat their significant other or simply to a lucky flatmate. It's easily halved, as I've done this morning.  It's nutty and rich from the tahini, sharp and sweet from the crystallized ginger, and the lemon zest just lifts the whole thing up.  The base of it is the perfect bowl of porridge recipe, one of which I'm passionate about.  
I've said it again and again, in the bitter cold, a bowl of porridge first thing in the morning is like falling in love.  Forget the French toasts, the pancakes and the pastries.  I think this is a better Valentine's Day breakfast.  It's simple and it's sweet and.. Okay I do love porridge more than the average person.  And I love ginger.  Oh some stem ginger and its syrup would be lovely in this. 

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 cup oats (better if it's half medium-cut, half rolled, but not necessary)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp tahini (to taste)
Honey (to taste)
A handful of crystallized ginger, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon

Method
Bring the milk, water and salt to a simmer.  Turn the heat down and add the oats.

Cook the oats at a steady simmer, stirring frequently and lowering the heat as necessary to maintain the simmer.

Taste for the consistency of the oats, it should be done after about 5-10 minutes, but it's all to your liking. 

At the end stir in the tahini, honey, ginger and lemon zest. 

1 comment:

  1. In February month, your are free to eat something crispy. chocolate and rosogola can be eat as sweet dish. Look Ace Baker If your going alone to eat then checking of petrol is must. Guests can come to your house.

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner