Thursday 19 March 2015

Mushroom and Ricotta Toast


I love bread.  Bruschettas, crostinis, sandwiches -- just anything involving things on bread I love.

I had a dream.  I dreamed of opening up a crostini bar --  an aperitif bar where people can order sweet and savory crostinis with a drink.  It would have an excellent wine list and a series of different crostinis and simple bar snacks like spiced nuts and crackers made in house.  I would have the best bread and cheese suppliers to create tasty and imaginative toast and toppings.  I think that dream died somewhere along with my friend last month.  He was the best foodie who knew all the ins and outs and the whos and whats of the London food scene.  He was going to be my consultant, my guinea pig and my supporter.

I had toyed with that idea along with starting a supper club, a street food van or becoming a private caterer but none of that is appealing anymore without my friend.   I'm losing motivation to even update Happy Belly.  Two nights ago in a moment of panic and desperation to remain in London, I applied to a series of finance/sales jobs.
It's all a bit up and down and there are these good days where I do cook.  Kind of.  Just simple things lately, like this toast/crostino.   It's really earthy and lovely and would have been better with wild mushrooms but I do not have the patience to clean those things.  Have you ever tried cooking wild mushrooms?  Have you tried cleaning/brushing those things?  Nobody hast time for that.  I would just settle for gritty mushrooms sometimes.

makes 2 toasts
Ingredients
15-20 button mushrooms
1/2 shallot
1 garlic
1 thyme sprig
1/2 lemon, juice
2 tbsp ricotta cheese
Parmesan shavings
Extra virgin olive oil
Sourdough bread

Method
Thinly slice the button mushrooms and the shallots.  Finely chop the garlic. Pick the leaves off the sprig of thyme.

Sweat the shallots in a pan with a bit of of olive oil without coloring.  AFter a few minutes, add the garlic and fry for a further two minutes.  Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook over low heat until dry. Season and add lemon juice to taste.

Toast the bread in the oven.  Spread with ricotta cheese and top with mushroom mixture, parmesan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner