Sunday 13 March 2016

Lamb with Sumac, Green Tahini Sauce and Aubergine

In the past few years many of the cookbooks I've purchased have been brought back to my parents' home or have been donated to charity, and now at this moment in my current home in London, I have over 30.  I read these when I have breakfast, I read these on a chilled Saturday afternoon and I read these before I go to bed.  I never read them when I actually want to cook from them because I just end up googling when I need a recipe from inspiration.  The most ridiculous is this: I googled Ottolenghi's recipes when I own four of his books.


I could spend the whole day just reading recipes, it's funny to think how that can be an actual hobby. I would like to make a note that I do read other things too, like I am currently reading "When Breath Becomes Air" at the moment and it's just brilliant, I highly recommend it.  But anyway, cookbooks and recipes. They're just fun for me to read and maybe subconsciously hopefully I absorb the information.
This was a proper treat for myself because I get so lazy when I cook for myself.  I went to my favorite butcher and my favorite greengrocer, rekindled the friendship and made this dish with their beautiful ingredients.

Serves 2
Adapted from Ottolenghi's Recipe

Ingredients
1 loin of lamb, about 300g
2 tbsp sumac

Sauce
30g tahini paste
20g parsley
1 small garlic clove
olive oil, to taste
lemon juice, to taste

Aubergine
1 aubergine
1/2 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp cumin
olive oil

Method
Heat the oven to 200C.

Cut the aubergine in half and score criss-cross pattern on the aubergine. Brush generously with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until soft.

To make the sauce, put everything in a food processor and season at the end.  I like the consistency to be quite thick, but if you'd like it thinner just add more olive oil and some water.

Rub the lamb loin with oil and season generously with salt and pepper.  Heat an oven-proof pan up over medium-high heat, then add the loin - it should sizzle.  Brown the lamb on all sides, even the ends, this should take about 5 minutes.  Place it in the oven for about 5 minutes for pink or 8 for medium.

Sprinkle the sumac on a plate, then once the lamb is ready, roll it in the sumac so it is completely covered. Cover wit tin foil to keep warm and leave to rest for five minutes.

When the aubergines are ready, sprinkle on dried mint. Serve with sauce and sliced lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner