Wednesday 15 June 2016

Scallops with Herbed Peas & Citrus Crumbs

Oh as much as I love eating scallops I just hate preparing them.  They're stubborn little things when you try to pry them open -- fair enough, you're killing them, but it's a task I face with utter dread.  I always fear my knife snapping in half.  Or, since once I stabbed my palm really badly, I'm worried about cutting myself or stabbing myself or have the knife snap in half and the blade pierce through my body #paranoidmindset
I'm currently enjoying some quality me time and so meals can take a bit more time to prepare than I'd usually give myself.   This was really simple, and I should've made the peas into a mash or a puree but then I was at my boyfriend's and I didn't bring any equipment (plus he'd argue I've already filled his kitchen with too many of my things).

I'm not going to give instructions as to how to crack open scallops.  I suggest you watch this link
This makes an elegant starter for a dinner party or for yourself.  As you can see, the recipe is for one.

Serves 1
Ingredients
2 scallops
1/2 cup petit pois, frozen
Small knob of ginger, minced
Extra virgin olive oil
Small bunch of mint, chopped
Small bunch of coriander, chopped
Fresh bread crumbs
Orange zest
Lemon zest

Method
Blanch the petit pois in boiling water for just thirty seconds, take out, drain, and mix with mint, ginger, olive oil, coriander and seasoning.  Blitz in a food processor if you want.

Make the bread crumbs buy frying the breadcrumbs in plenty of olive oil over medium-high heat.  When browned and crisp, season and stir in citrus zests.

Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.  When it begins to steam, season the scallops and place them in the frying pan -- it should sizzle, if not it's not hot enough.  Cook for about 1 minute on each side.  Serve with petit pois and crumbs, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a simple and easy recipe to make for dinner. Scallops are my favourite and this combination with fresh veggies will give it a different taste.

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner